Table of Contents
Flat or thinning hair got you down? Luckily, you have numerous options for adding volume and stimulating new growth.
While many products claim to thicken hair, what you find on the ingredients list of conventional sprays or treatments may include harmful chemicals. Instead of rolling the dice on your well-being, consider creating your own all-natural hair products.
These recipes and step-by-step instructions will walk you through the process and tips to thicken your hair naturally—from selecting ingredients to incorporating new products into your daily beauty routine.
Lavender and Rosemary Hair Mask
For a thickening treatment that will also leave your hair smelling great, try this lavender and rosemary mask. The essential oils help support hair growth and you’ll feel extra revitalized after the relaxing scalp massage.
- Combine 5 to 10 drops each of lavender and rosemary essential oils in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Thoroughly mix and apply to your scalp.
- Massage the mask into your scalp and leave in for 45 minutes.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair. Repeat weekly.
Sea Salt Spray
For a natural, beachy look, try this volumizing spray. With the addition of aromatic essential oils, your hair will look and smell great.
- Heat 1 cup of water and pour into a glass jar. (Water should be warm, not boiling).
- Add 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts, close the jar, and shake until dissolved.
- Once the liquid is at room temperature, add 15 drops of lavender essential oil and 5 drops of geranium essential oil.
- Pour into a small spray bottle, shake, and apply to wet or dry hair.
- Scrunch your hair to increase volume and encourage curling.
Epsom Salt Conditioner
To boost your conditioning routine try this easy hack: pair your favorite eco-friendly conditioner with Epsom salts for a volumizing effect.
- Combine one part conditioner with one part Epsom salts in a small bowl.
- Stir until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Store your new boosted conditioner in a small reusable pump or squeeze bottle.
- Apply the conditioner on your hair and leave in for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing.
Hair Growth Oil Treatment
This rich oil treatment is loaded with aromatic essential oils. You can mix and match your desired scents according to your mood or needs.
- 1/2 cup carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, or almond)
- Peppermint oil
- Cedarwood oil
- Lavender oil
- Thyme oil
- Tea tree oil
- Rosemary oil
- Add your carrier oil of choice to a glass dropper bottle.
- Add 10 drops of peppermint oil and 5 drops each of cedarwood, lavender, thyme, tea tree, and rosemary oils.
- Shake the closed bottle to ensure thorough mixing.
- Put a few drops on your fingertips and rub them together for an even distribution.
- Apply to your scalp by gently massaging your head.
If you’re sick of sprays and don’t have enough time for hair masks, this thickening gel might be the answer.
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- Rosemary oil
- In a small saucepan, combine flaxseed and water.
- Simmer on medium and remove from heat when the water thickens to a gel-like texture.
- Run the mixture through a strainer over a bowl to remove flaxseed. Pour the remaining gel into a small glass jar.
- Add aloe vera gel and 10 drops of rosemary oil.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Apply to dry hair and scalp and leave in for about an hour.
- Shampoo and rinse to remove gel.
Much like dry shampoo, this volumizing powder offers an easy application and quick fix to your hair woes. A light dusting along your scalp can help lift roots and add body to your hair.
- Combine 2 tablespoons each of cornstarch and rice flour in a small bowl.
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary oil.
- Stir to mix ingredients and pour into an empty spice container with a shaker lid.
- Sprinkle a small amount of powder onto your scalp.
- Massage the powder into your scalp and then brush or comb out your hair for the full volumizing effect.
Aloe Vera Spray
For another reliable option, this aloe vera spray offers hydration along with volume. With fragrances of lemon and rosemary, your hair will smell fresh all day as an added bonus.
- 1/2 cup aloe vera gel
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon castor oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Combine aloe vera gel and water in a small bowl.
- Mix together with a whisk until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add sea salt and castor oil.
- Stir while adding 4 drops of rosemary essential oil and 2 drops of lemon essential oil.
- Transfer your mixture to a small glass spray bottle.
- Shake before applying. Spritz all over damp, clean, and combed hair.
Volumizing Sugar Spray
This simple two-ingredient volumizing spray works wonders on flat, lifeless hair. Much like salt spray, this recipe will give your hair that wind-tousled, beachy appearance with minimal effort.
- Heat a 1/2 cup of water on medium until simmering and turn off stove once bubbles begin to form.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of sugar.
- Stir until sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove from stove and allow sugar water to cool.
- Pour into a small spray bottle and mist onto hair.
Avocado and Coconut Oil Mask
The hydrating powers of avocados and coconut oil make a powerful combination in this hair mask. The added boost of rich nutrients from the egg will revitalize your hair and help you say goodbye to thinning strands.
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Geranium oil
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, coconut oil, egg, and 15 drops of geranium oil. Mix together until ingredients are smooth and fully combined.
- Apply a thick layer to wet or dry hair.
- After putting on a shower cap, leave in for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse hair and shampoo as you normally would.
Rosemary and Nettle Root-Lifting Spray
This rosemary-nettle infusion helps boost your hair from the roots to give it a thicker, fuller appearance. With the addition of several aromatic essential oils, your hair will smell great, too.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried nettle leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable glycerin
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Chamomile essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- In a small saucepan, combine water, dried nettle leaves, and dried rosemary leaves. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn down to low heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and run the mixture through a strainer (to remove leaves) and into a bowl.
- Add sea salt and cane sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Let the liquid cool slightly before adding vegetable glycerin, aloe vera gel, 3-4 drops of chamomile essential oil, 10 drops of bergamot essential oil, and 2-3 drops of rosemary essential oil.
- Pour the mixture into a small glass spray bottle.
- Lightly spray your roots, blow-dry, and then brush or comb away from your scalp to maximize volume.